Menaquinone-7, commonly known as MK-7, is a form of vitamin K2 that plays a vital role in promoting bone and cardiovascular health. Here are some important points about Menaquinone-7:
1. Vitamin K2: Vitamin K comprises several compounds, including vitamin K1 (phylloquinone) and vitamin K2 (menaquinone). MK-7 is an important subtype of vitamin K2 that is derived from bacteria.
2. Bone Health: MK-7 has been recognized for its role in maintaining strong and healthy bones. It works by activating specific proteins involved in calcium metabolism, such as osteocalcin, which helps bind calcium to the bone matrix, thereby enhancing bone mineralization.
3. Cardiovascular Health: Research suggests that MK-7 may also play a protective role in cardiovascular health. It helps prevent the buildup of calcium in arterial walls and promotes the activation of matrix Gla protein (MGP), which helps inhibit arterial calcification.
4. Long-lasting Effectiveness: One of the advantages of MK-7 is its long half-life compared to other forms of vitamin K2. This means that it remains active in the body for an extended period, ensuring sustained benefits.
5. Synergistic with Vitamin D: Vitamin D and vitamin K work synergistically when it comes to bone health. Adequate levels of both vitamins are necessary for optimal calcium utilization and maintenance of healthy bones.
6. Food Sources: While small amounts can be obtained from dietary sources like fermented foods, liver, and certain cheeses, MK-7 is relatively scarce in most Western diets. This has led to the development of supplements containing purified MK-7 to ensure sufficient intake.
7. Supplement Considerations: When opting for a supplement, it’s important to choose one that provides a standardized amount of MK-7 with high purity levels to ensure efficacy and safety.
It’s always recommended to consult with a healthcare professional or nutritionist before starting any new dietary supplement to determine the appropriate dosage and to ensure it complements your individual health needs.